Sunday 27 May 2018

A Coy Gordon Highlanders

This is the first company of my Battalion of Gordon Highlanders (although they’ll be able to stand in for any of the Highland Regiments as my tartan is rather vague to say the least) I’ll need to paint another three companies to complete the unit.

I settled on using Jacklex for this unit as there are no other suitable 20mm Highlander figures available for the Boer War. I’m actually growing more and more fond of the Jacklex range and I enjoyed painting these figures, they have a certain dash about them.

I’m not sure when I’ll get time to finish this unit as I’m concentrating on my Napoleonic’s at the moment and painting time is always thin on the ground during the summer. Hopefully it will be within the next month or two.

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I really like these figures and I think a whole unit will look good - just wish I had more time to spend on this project!

      Delete
  2. They look great! You've done the tartan just right. Too many people over paint them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the tartan that the impressionistic approach is the best. I tried to paint detail on the stockings but decided going for plain red looked better and was also much easier!

      Delete
  3. Glad you lije the Jacklex. I think okd Jack Alexander got the proportions right and they they have that slightly toy soldier look that is just right!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are very nice, my only gripe is that the range is not sculpted to a constant scale - the marching figures are giants compared to these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Must go and look at the sixpze comparison as I did not realise the marching figs were any different in scale ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are giants compared to the advancing figure but would probably look ok if in a unit by themselves!

      Delete
  6. Ian- I've been looking at your BOER WAR Site for some time and have just now decided to join up. I do have a liking for the Boer War..some 32 years ago I set up and ran a game in 1/72nd for the Boar War...'Laings Neck'...it was a great little Battle using my converted ESCI figures- I took the role as Boars and my friend
    Myron was the British. Lots of good memories. We played in an Army Barracks at Ingleburn NSW (no longer there -alas). Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
  7. THey look great, what a very tempting period for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil, I'm sure you would do it splendidly. There are plenty of decent figures around in 15mm I think.

      Delete
  8. How did I miss these? Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the concept of a coy highlander

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aye, you canna be too forward (or you may get shot!)

      Delete
  10. Maybe the coy highlander is the one who does wear something beneath the kilt

    ReplyDelete