Way back in 2020 I completed a unit of dismounted Imperial Light Horse for my refight of Elandslagaate. I had always intended to paint up a mounted version of the unit as well and I thought now would be a good time to do so knowing that they will almost certainly have a role in the Zoutpans campaign.
![]() |
| There are 12 troopers and a commander. The Newline Designs pack included another officer and bugler so I have added these to the ranks. |
The figures are by Newline Designs and they have been fun to paint. They are actually Frontier Light Horse from the Zulu War range and I have modified their hats so that the left side is turned up. This was quite fiddly but worth it I think.
![]() |
| The old dismounted unit now has the added luxury of a horse holder. |
In the campaign they will represent the ficticious Imperial Volunteer Horse led by Lieutenant-Colonel Cyril A. Pembroke "A colonial veteran who knows the veld intimately. Resourceful, fearless and unconventional, he enjoys the complete confidence of his troopers."


Aaaargh! You started without me. Anyway I wasted no time jumping into the saddle and have now caught up with you - just in time for the first engagement. I'm glad General Wetherby decided to send some guns forward with the advance guard.
ReplyDeleteExcellent Rob, glad you're up to speed. I think the British artillery will be vital in the coming engagement.
DeleteNice work! They look dashing and rough and ready at the same time!
ReplyDeleteThanks Bob, the Newline figures do have a certain roughness about them very different from the Jacklex ones!
DeleteBeautiful paint job on this unit Ian! It must have been quite the task to turn up their hats! The horse-holder also adds a lot to the scene! I hope that Pembroke is the leader that he's all cracked up to be!
ReplyDeleteThanks Brad, the hats were a fiddle but I wanted them to look the part now we must find out if they can fight!
DeleteVery nice looking unit both mounted and dismounted, The Newline figures are rather nice,they have some super ranges in their collection.
ReplyDeleteThanks Donnie, yes I think they have the most comprehensive range of 20mm figures around.
DeleteA very nice unit Ian, you can almost see the dust rising from their hooves. What method do you use for the scenic bases?
ReplyDeleteThanks Simon, I use a sand mixture of coarse and fine fixed with PVA glue. I apply two layers for a bit of depth. The grass patches are Woodland Scenics.
DeleteNice additions, Newline do produce some absolute gems. Plus a good paint job!
ReplyDeleteThanks Matt, I found these particularly satisfying to paint.
Delete