Tuesday 26 September 2023

British Deployment

I’ve written up some basic Campaign Rules, but my intention is for everything to be dice driven as I’m playing this solo. This should limit my ability to bend things too much in favour of the British but we’ll see!

Before we get to troop deployment, I first need a strategy with which I can then frame my orders to the various British commands. So, I’ll start things off with a D6 die roll against the following British Strategy chart:

1 = secure Ladysmith, Harrismith, Newcastle & Dundee
2 = secure Ladysmith, Harrismith & Newcastle
3 = secure Ladysmith, Harrismith & Helpmakaar
4 = secure Ladysmith, Harrismith & Glencoe
5 = secure Ladysmith, Newcastle & Dundee
6 = secure Ladysmith & Dundee

I rolled a 3 so it’s secure Ladysmith, Harrismith and Helpmakaar. An interesting one as it means I’m taking a southerly line of defence but it’s also quite a wide area to defend.

Anyway, now it’s time to deploy with another D6 to determine deployment of each British Brigade (General White is automatically deployed to Ladysmith).

1 = Newcastle
2 = Dundee
3 = Harrismith
4 = Helpmakaar
5 = Ladysmith
6 = Ladysmith

So this is how it went:

Symon's Brigade - Helpmakaar
French's Brigade - Helpmakaar
Yule's Brigade - Dundee
Hamilton's Brigade - Dundee

This is already causing me a serious headache!

Next up will be the Boer deployment.

6 comments:

  1. What's the problem? Helpmakaar and Ladysmith are already held, and the rest of your troops can just hop on a train to reinforce Ladysmith or on to Harrismith. What could be simpler? What's more your troops can ride rather than march, maybe young Winston could cadge a lift with them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea Rob however British movement by rail will be limited to half a battalion per turn which may slow things down a bit!

      Delete
  2. Very interesting Ian, you've got quite a few problems to solve! I wish you the best of luck! Excellent illustration too, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brad, I can't claim any credit for the cartoon as I found it on the web - apparently it was a popular postcard in Britain during the Boer War!

      Delete
  3. I am sure British ingenuity and pluck will save the day...

    ReplyDelete