Sunday 29 January 2023

Magersfontein

Having recovered from the wound he received at Modder River, Lord Methuen is continuing his advance to relieve Kimberley. The Boers have fallen back to positions on Magersfontein Kopje and once more there is nothing for it but a frontal attack to dislodge them.

The newly arrived Highland Brigade under Major General Wauchope is ordered to assault the Boer positions at dawn following a night march. Major Benson of the Staff has been assigned to lead the way.

"Where are we Major Benson? It's pitch dark since the moon has set!"
"I'm not sure general, these magnetic boulders are playing havoc with my compass."

"I think we must be very near the Boer positions now Sir, may I suggest that you deploy the men into line?"
"Nae laddie my orders are to stay in column until I'm sure we are upon them, I don't like it but there we are!"

"Och sarge I cannae see a bloody thing, I think we're all doomed!"
"Quiet there private Fraser!"
The sun's coming up at last when a single gunshot rings out...

It is the 11th of December 1899.

12 comments:

  1. Ouch! This is going to hurt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be right Matt but let's keep a stiff upper at this stage!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Ross, they do build a bit of atmosphere.

      Delete
  3. How right private Fraser is! Excellent pictures Ian, with perfect lighting! They really give the foreboding feeling of this doomed approach! Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brad, hopefully I'll get the game played in the next week or two.

      Delete
  4. How did you do those really nice night shots, was it photo-shopped? I could point out the apparent lack of heavy artillery but my soapbox has collapsed through over use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not photo-shop, I have a free photo software and all I do is increase the exposure setting so nothing very clever!

      Delete
  5. A nice atmospheric start to your game Ian…
    You never know… it might work….

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Aly, the Boers will never expect a frontal attack!

      Delete