Thursday 15 September 2016

Voortrekker Wagon

Yesterday I was very fortunate to receive an unexpected package from Clive. In it was a 20mm Jacklex Voortrekker wagon complete with original Harrow Model Shop box and assembly instructions. The instructions are necessary as this model is surprisingly detailed and contains quite a few parts. I’ve started to put it together and I think it will look great when finished.

This was the type of wagon used during The Great Trek of the 1830’s and 1840’s when Dutch speaking farmers left the Cape to set up farms on the fertile interior of the Transvaal. The move was prompted in part by a drought in the 1830’s but also by the desire to get away from British rule.

I probably wouldn’t have bought one of these models as they are quite expensive new and not of much value for wargaming. However I’m really pleased to have this one and it will add a bit of period flavour to my Boers force, just need to get some oxen. Nice one Clive.

2 comments: