Tuesday 7 November 2023

Biggarsberg Pass - The Game

The British column approaches the Biggarsberg Pass blissfully unaware that the Boers are waiting for them hidden in the hills.
The Boers are holding their fire waiting for the Tommies to come on.

The men of the Piet Retief Commando raise their rifles in anticipation.

On and on come the British...

...into the valley of death.

Turn 3 and finally the Boers let rip - 15 of the King's Royal Rifles are laid low!

The leading artillery and the King's Liverpool take a few hits too but not to the same degree.

Caught between the fire of the Piet Retief and Vryheid Commandos the head of the column ceases to exist.

But the remainder of the British force are able to deploy and begin to return fire.

The 'first time under shrapnel fire' rule causes 5 Boers of the Piet Retief Commando to flee whilst a sixth is knocked down. This is a lucky break for the British. 

A similar fate befalls the Vryheid Commando.

The British are still taking casualties but are not near their break point yet. 

The Piet Retief Commando withdraw from their exposed position (I diced to see whether they would remain in position or fall back as they were very near their break point) relieving the pressure on the British line. 

The Utrecht Commando (foreground) had so far only engaged in some long distance rifle fire.

Another hit on the Vryheid Commando was enough to see them take to their ponies and flee. If one more Boer Commando breaks the game will be over.

And yep, as the Piet Retief reach the hill they too are reduced (break point is 5 figures) by further British artillery fire.

Incredibly it's a British victory - I bet you didn't see that coming?

So Yule gets away by the skin of his teeth and the column is free to withdraw through the pass. His own brigade however has now been shattered leaving only Hamilton's as an effective fighting force.

Next I will calculate casualty recovery.

14 comments:

  1. Wow! That was unexpected Ian, but greatly appreciated! I hope that the headlines back home trumpet the British victory! Another excellent game and it looked beautiful too! Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun to play and nerve wracking as I threw each turn to see if the Boers would start firing.

      Delete
  2. Hoorah for the guns! Are these actually lucky shots or are the guns perhaps a bit over effective? I assume it will get harder as each Boer Kommando eventually sees some action and becomes less likely to bolt when shelled?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky that I rolled high for both Boer units when they came under first time fire and I only needed 1 or 2 further casualties to see them retire so the artillery was not overly effective.

      Delete
  3. Well when I started read this report - I thought the British are doomed - but what an unexpected turn around - that showed 'Johnny Boer' !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another lovely looking game Ian…
    And a cracking result for the British…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally something good to be discussed over breakfast at home!

      Delete
  5. You're absolutely right, I didn't see that coming! I've been checking the blog twice a day to see how things turned out. I got impatient enough to consider reproducing the scenario with some Boxer Rebellion figures.
    When those 15 blokes got knocked down I thought Old Piet was going to ride away with a win. Good show, General Yule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It worked very well as a solo game but I do think that the British got lucky because if the Boers had held fire for one more turn I think I would have had a different result!

      Delete
  6. Ha! The guns, thank gawd, the guns! Did I mention my maternal grandfather was in the RHA during the Boer War? ......of course he was a newly joined boy bugler in training so didn't get to see action till 1914.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting Ross. My dad told me that we had someone in the family involved in the Boer War but I have never been able to find any info on that.

      Delete