Tuesday 21 November 2023

Council of War

The victory at Biggarsberg is a relief for the British however it still leaves General White in a difficult position. Harrismith has fallen and now both Helpmakaar and Ladysmith are in danger if the Boers can concentrate their strength against one or the other.

These are the three options I believe the British now have:

1. Abandon Helpmakaar and concentrate all forces at Ladysmith in the hope that the Boers can be defeated in battle there.

2. Split the British forces between Ladysmith and Helpmakaar and hope that both places can hold out.

3. Hold both Ladysmith and Helpmakaar with token forces and push the main army north along the railway line with the aim of bringing about a decisive battle on favourable ground.

The Generals ride in for a council of war.

Normally I would roll a dice to decide which strategy should be adopted but I thought it would be an interesting idea to throw this out to the blog readers. Let me know in the comments which of the three courses of action you think General White should take. If there is no consensus after a week then I will resort to a die roll.

10 comments:

  1. I would opt for the third option. I doubt the Boers would bite for number one and number two is simply too passive. Driving north should get the Boers to commit to a fight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Bob - Option 3 and force the issue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Number 2 is the worst choice, splitting your force in the face of a mobile enemy is a dangerous plan which is most likely to end in disaster.
    Number 3 is the next worse option with your force split 3 ways with the largest part chasing a more mobile enemy who are more likely to move around your field force and seize your base.

    That leaves number 1. but it might be a good idea to request reinforcements or a relief force!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there hope of reinforcement soon? If so I would opt for ‘2’ and let the Boers try attacking in the face of industrial firepower. Option ‘3’ seems risky as I can’t see why the Boers would opt for a big fight with the concentrated Imperial forces when they have the mobility to avoid them and seize the towns leaving the army stranded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, that was me - not trying to be 'Anonymous'.

      Delete
  5. Let us be honest... this is the British Empire.
    Option 3 would be the only (Press) acceptable solution.
    The Daily Mail calls for "Operation Farage"...and damn the casualties!

    (* And, Spencer, if you ever bring more 20mm lovelies to my attention on Evil-bay again I will call for an editorial piece by Boris Wantsome in said publication! )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would go with Option 3 Ian. I can neither abandon Helpmakaar or split my forces with a clear conscience! I would push north and bring them to battle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gentlemen - it would appear that we have achieved a consensus and the hawks have it! Very well, the die is cast we will take the fight to the enemy, return to your commands and new orders will be with you soon, God save the Queen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm, I think we're going to regret this... don't say I didn't warn you.

    ReplyDelete